Thursday, March 5, 2009

Science!

Chemistry SPA was so spastic today... really. I made so many stupid mistakes that I don't actually want to talk about it, but here they are!

1. Took the number of moles of KMnO4 used in the reaction as the mass of KMnO4 I measured divided by the molar mass. Forgot to divide by 250cm^3 and then multiply by the volume I used.
2. Redid my whole standard solution because someone told me that you were supposed to see the top of the meniscus at the line in the graduated flask, not the bottom. Turns out, for mixing a standard solution of KMnO4, you can use the bottom of the meniscus to measure...
3. Second titration went kaputz because instead of turning the burette's "tap" to stop the solution from flowing, I turned it the other way, causing a torrent of purple to appear in my titrand, thus ruining my result.
4. Basically, I couldn't figure out the equation of MnO4- and H2O2, although the answer was right there in the lecture notes and I apparently read them already.

Argh... I'm guessing that that's because of a lack of 3 hours of sleep from yesterday. Going to sleep early tonight :)

But before I go, here's a video about Science.

No comments: